Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Miss Her!



Today is my grandmother's birthday. This picture is of her and my Papaw in 1940, right before they got married. She passed away 5 years ago this Christmas and there is not a day that goes by that I don't wish she were still here.
She was the reason Proverbs 31 was written, there is no doubt. In my eyes, she was the most wonderful, perfect example of a Christian woman that has ever lived. I stayed with her after school and in the summers when I was younger and she was my best friend. We would go shopping (although I would never let her buy me anything because it always made me feel bad), go the 'short cut' to get ice cream, play Solitare (and cheat), cook lunch for my Papaw, Daddy, and the farm hands. She would take me with her to her Homemaker's Club, Rook Club, and Bridge Club meetings (which were all the same ladies and I couldn't figure out why they had 3 different meetings each month...now, I know!) She would call me Susie Jane and we would talk about the boy I would marry...she would call him "Mr. Bucket, since we don't know what his name will be." I could go on and on.
There was never any doubt that she loved my Papaw and he loved her. They started going together when she was 13, he was 14 and according to him, she asked him. Then they eloped when she was 19 because women couldn't be married and attend David Lipscomb. He was in the army and when he got back to his post, he wrote a letter to her father to let him know they were married. Isn't that funny? I couldn't believe my sweet little grandmother would do such a thing! She did everything for him and I never heard her complain.
She was always volunteering at Church or in the community to help others and was very well respected. Every day I strive to be like her, if only I were that lucky.
She is my little angel now and I can only hope that my kids see her in me since they will never know her.
Happy Birthday Mamaw! I know you are in heaven baking casseroles and eating ice cream, our favorite food! I miss you!
I think I will take the kids to get ice cream this afternoon...

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I've enjoyed reading up on your blog! This is a very sweet, touching post! You are very lucky to have been so close to such a wonderful example!