
Seven years ago today (Jan. 4, 2002), WB and I got engaged! What a night that was...let me just tell y'all what happened. Well, I guess I should give you a little background first.
WB and I were set up on a blind date on November 3, 2001. I was not keen on the idea because I thought I was just fine getting dates on my own and did not need anyone to set me up thank you very much. But, I went, but I would only meet him at the restaurant. I did not want him to pick me up...I was also going through this independent stage. Anyway, we met at Darryl's Restaurant (which has sense been torn down) and after 4 hours of conversation, we decided we might should call it a night, especially since the waitress was glaring at us.
By date 3, I told my parents that I was going to marry him. I "just knew." (Before then, I never believed people when they would say they "just knew." I am a believer)WB said that we "had to date for 1 year before we could get engaged." I thought that was dumb and knew he wouldn't hold out that long. So, I said, whatever, I just need 6 months to plan the wedding.
So, fast forward (but not too fast, you might miss it) to our 2 month anniversary, January 4, 2002. It was an EXTREMELY COLD Friday night. WB had called me at work and said he had made reservations for dinner at The Clock Tower (which is also now closed, see a pattern? you will know why soon). So, I try to leave work early to not look like I had been in an office all day. He picked me up and off to dinner we went.
He ordered a steak (which he never does) and I got prime rib. It tasted a little funny, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to upset him. (I sorta knew something was up that night, but I will NEVER tell him! He doesn't read our blog because it isn't about tractors, so I am pretty safe saying it here) So, about 5 minutes after dinner, it started...I had severe stomach cramps. I mean I thought I was going to die.
WB says, "Hey, let's go to the park!" UGH!! For one, it was 14 degrees. Secondly, I was trying not to get sick in his car. But, I went along with him. He wanted to walk to the bridge...I could only make it to the bench outside of the Museum of Art (halfway to the bridge). I sat down trying so hard not to be sick right there on the ducks. He asked me to marry him (I can honestly say that is all I remember him saying), I said yes. Then I said..."Do you think we can hurry up and get home?"
In between me contemplating if I could make it all the way to my parent's house or if we needed to go to his apartment and trying not to get sick in his car, he was saying 'Why aren't you crying?' 'Are you sure you want to do this?' 'Are you ok?' (Later he told me that I had a horrible look on my face and he thought I was having second thoughts! HA If he could have only felt the pain I was feeling!)
So, I call my mom and tell her to have the back door open for when we get there. And she does, so as I am trying to run in, she is saying "Let me see, let me see!" and standing right in my way. Seriously. So, I am not sure what I said (I am sure it wasn't nice), but she moved and I finally got to the bathroom. Poor old WB was still unsure if I "really wanted to do this" and I thought I was dying right there in the powder room. And, here comes momma "What did you get! Let me see!" not, "are you ok, can I help you, do you need a wet wash cloth?" Nothing like that.
So, finally after about an hour and a half, when there was nothing left in my body, I was able to muster up a few tears and really enjoy the fact that I was engaged! And, since I cried, I guess WB was happy and thought maybe I did want to marry him.
Not how I had dreamed that I would get engaged, but typical for my life. At least I had already lost a few pounds for my big day, right?
And, we were married 5 months later, without a hitch. But, then there was the incident about an hour after we closed on our house. (another day, another blog) For years, WB would have sworn that I "reacted this way during stressful situations." HA!
In honor of our mini-versary, I will leave you with a recipe for the best cake you will ever eat. Completely worth the trouble...it's WB's favorite. My grandmother use to make it for my grandfather all of the time. hmmmm.
Better Than Sex Cake
1 box butter cake mix
1 bag sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
1 large box french vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 box German chocolate, grated (I usually omit this because I am lazy)
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs (I have made it with 2 before and it has been fine)
1 stick butter melted
Icing: 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
nuts and coconut (optional)
Mix all cake ingredients together and pour in greased and floured bundt pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
While baking, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add in vanilla, nuts and coconut. Ice cake when cooled. (Sometimes I only make about 1/2 batch of icing and just ice the top. Just to cut down on the calories)
WB and I like this cake refrigerated and with a big ol glass of milk. It's rich, y'all but so good.
The name says it all! You might not want to tell your husband what it's called because he might not eat it. I like to take this cake to people who have just had a baby.
Enjoy!
2 comments:
I loved reading your engagement story. That is horrible that you felt so sick, but definitely makes the night all the more memorable. I will have to try to make that cake one day. It sounds delicious!
Kera Moore!
You still crack me up. Even thought I will never forgive you and Heather O for that shirt you made for me. Crazy that we're all mommas now!
Janna
Post a Comment