Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Things I will miss about nursing

Bubba will be turning 1 on Saturday...that's right 1. I know, time has flown by and I just can't believe it! Here I was this time last year...



Here was Sister. She was just 19 months when he was born. I thought she was so big then- and when I look back, she was still such a baby. She use to pull up my shirt and rub my belly and suck her fingers (while I was pregnant, y'all. not recently. I had a pic of this but didn't think you would want to see my pregnant belly)



Here was Little Man after his first bath with Daddy.



And here at 6 weeks...



Since he is about to be 1, I have weined him to milk from a cup. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be with him. Harder on me, I guess. I remember breaking down on Sissy's 1st birthday because anyone could give her milk in a cup. Then, the next week I found out I was pregnant and I was fine because I knew I would be doing it all over again! This time, I am pretty sure I won't be finding out the same news. So, this might be it.
Here are a few things I will miss about nursing...

1. The time that I got to spend doing nothing else but sitting down with my baby and holding him. I will miss the cuddle time, although, he still likes to be rocked, for now.
2. The ability to eat whatever I want just because "I am nursing and need the extra calories."
3. The sense of accomplishment that I am A)saving our family some serious moolah by making this stuff my own personal self, and B)able to feed my baby the 'natural way' (although I didn't know 'natural' things could hurt so bad in the beginning.)
4. Being able to say, 'I can't, I've got to feed the baby' when there were things someone wanted me to do and I didn't necessarily want to do them.

So now I am back to wearing these things around that have no certain purpose at all and trying to figure out if there is any way (without surgery) I can get them to rest somewhere close to where they were 3 years ago.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

I love that last line!

I absolutely loved nursing Jackson. I wasn't able to really nurse AK and Joshua since they were preemies. When they were in the NICU, I had to pump for them and when AK came home, I nursed her and still had to pump for Joshua. She was SO SLOW!!! I think that I was either nursing or pumping every hour. I got very overwhelmed (this is my life for the next year) and tried to stick with it. I think that I nursed Abby Kate for a month and pumped for the first four months. I had to stop because of my Chrone's. I say all of that to say that I was VERY determined to nurse my last baby.

He nursed right up to a week before he turned one (even taking 5 days off while I was on a cruise when he was 10 months). I loved being able to provide for him and it was so easy!!! And I absolutely loved every minute of it!

You look so pretty in that first picture. I can't get over how much hair he had in that 6 week picture.

Anonymous said...

So sweet! I can't believe that our little ones are growing up so fast. What is it about the second child getting big so fast!?!

I am feeling your pain with the nursing thing. When we went to Colorado a few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and wean Gracie. It was a hard decision but we decided that it would be for the best. I do miss getting to nurse her and don't really enjoy washing a million bottles a week but, I am so thankful that she has been so healthy from the first 8 months of being nursed and will always cherish those special times we had.

Anyways, good luck with your crazy week of birthday fun and tell your little man we said "happy birthday"!

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Your kids are precious!

Amy said...

Kera,
I just "rediscovered" your blog through Jennifer's. I had visited it before but hadn't bookmarked it.

I love reading your posts, because you truly call it like you see it. I love that honesty. And, as a mother, it makes me laugh because I know exactly where you are coming from :)

Happy birthday to your adorable little boy!

Amy

one BleSSed gal! said...

Just to make you feel better...thought I'd add a "thing that you won't miss about nursing" comment. Having to nurse in a bathroom stall at a ballgame because it just happens to be the ONLY place. YES, I did have to do that at the Auburn game yesterday.