WB loves breakfast but usually has to eat it on the run. If there is any morning that he is home, I try to fix him a big breakfast - eggs, biscuits, sausage (or bacon) and gravy (sausage or chocolate) - you know, the healthy kind.
Since he isn't home in the mornings that often, we will dine on this good for you breakfast at dinner sometimes instead.
Since some of you don't know how to make sausage gravy, I thought I would give you a step by step. It's really easy, I promise!
First, start out by frying your sausage patties. I do not add any other fat to my pan, but some people do. You can decide for yourself. (Bacon fat is not good for making white gravy. If you only have bacon, make chocolate gravy instead. I will tell yall how to do that soon.)

While they are frying, grab your other ingredients: milk, flour, and pepper.

Oh, and put some of these babies in your oven. They are SO good and just like Granny's! I think these are better than the Pillsbury - and cheaper too. If you want people to think you made these yourself, sprinkle some flour on the counter and add a few sprinklings to your face and clothes too.

Go ahead and put your eggs on too. Gravy should be the last thing you make before calling everyone to the table. It just takes about 3-4 minutes to make.
When your sausage is done, your pan will look like this...

Scrub the bottom of your pan with a spatula to get all of the crusties off of the bottom.
Your stove eye should be on MEDIUM-LOW setting.
Then, sprinkle some flour in - enough to soak up all of the grease left in the pan. Maybe about a 1/4 cup depending on the amount of grease in the pan. If you are nervous, sprinkle a little at a time to see how much you will need.

Stir the flour in and brown it just a little. It will look like this. I don't think it is suppose to be crumbly, but mine always is and it turns out fine.

Now, pour in enough milk to cover the bottom of the pan.

Keep stirring the gravy and it will start to thicken. You can tell it is thickening by stirring - your stir 'tracks' will stay visible longer and longer.

Check on the biscuits...

When you start to get to the thickness you desire, add your pepper.

See...you can see my tracks, so it is the thickness we like. Turn off the eye and take it off of the stove to serve.

Pick up your leg attachment and finish everything with 1 hand. Please tell me someone else has to do this every night?!

Take out the biscuits...I usually like mine more on the 'white' side. But, sometimes, a certain little boy has to be held at that very moment and I don't get to take them out of the oven in time.
If you like them white, take that one white one out and eat it your own self. DO NOT feel bad about not giving it to your kids. You give them everything else, you deserve a white biscuit!

If your gravy gets a little lumpy because your husband doesn't come in when he says he is gonna, you can either make him eat it lumpy, or add just a little milk (maybe a Tablespoon) and put it back on the eye and stir for a little. It will thin out again.

Plate that stuff up and feel good about eating breakfast for dinner. Breakfast is good for you right?!

(This is not a picture of my plate...it is WB's - seriously! I don't eat gravy.)
Hope this helps someone! Let me know how it turns out...
3 comments:
I'll have to try it. It seems easy enough. I'm the cheater that gets one of the packs from the store instead of doing it homemade. :) That picture is making me hungry. Don't feel bad...we have breakfast for dinner a lot! I have a breakfast crescent casserole that is so good and easy that I make a lot.
It's official...if you keep posting things like this, I will have to remove you from my blog list for fear that my husband will click & see this & expect me to make that for him =)
I love this post. I'm not a gravy eater, but I do LOVE those biscuits! I like the mini ones, too. We are big dinner breakfast for dinner eaters.
Jason and I were looking back at some home videos a few months back. There was a clip of me making dinner one night and I had AK on my hip the entire time! Craziness!
Post a Comment