Monday, August 25, 2008

FALL...Where are you?

This is the time of year that I get so antsy for Fall. It's late August and time to start breaking out the blue jeans and long sleeve shirts. But, since we live in Alabama, it's still shorts and tank tops for another month or so.
Since I am longing for Fall, I thought I would list some of my favorite things.

1. Harvest Time- Growing up on a farm, fall means the smell of harvest. To most other people it just smells like dirt, but to me, there is a distinct smell about freshly picked cotton and shelled corn. This will be the first year daddy didn't plant cotton and I will miss the smell and the feel of jumping in the cotton wagons (or module builders now). We will definitely be there to shell corn and have Bubba's first ride on the Combine. I can't wait! (For those of you that don't know, it's pronounced com-bine...2 syllables. Not combine like combine these ingredients. If you don't know how to pronounce it, then you need to bring the kids out for a ride. You will have more fun than them and will learn a lot.)

2. Lower Temps- Which means more time outside at any time of day even if there is no shade. More wagon rides, tractor rides, and running around without having to worry about someone passing out from heat exhaustion.

3. My shows are back on- Dancing With The Stars will be back and I can't wait! Susan Lucci, Cloris Leachman (I think she was on The Facts of Life at the end when George Clooney was on there. Not Mrs. Garrett, but the other old lady when they owned the store. I loved that show...I wanted to be Jo. I use to make my mom fix my hair in the two little pony tails. I digress), Kim Kardashian, Lance Bass, Misty May-Treanor, Toni Braxton, Ted McGinley (the dumb guy from Married with children), Brooke Burke, and some other people I don't know will be on there. That is one of my favorite shows on TV. Also, America's Funniest Home Videos will be back. This show makes me belly laugh so hard. It has to be the best show ever...the hosts are never all that great, but the videos are hilarious. I will also catch Grey's and Desperate Housewives sometimes even though it is total trash. And Ugly Betty. And The Hills (which has already started...I can't believe that I just admitted watching that show)

4. The leaves change- I love it back in our little cove when the leaves change. Living in the city was a HUGE change for me...especially having neighbors for the first time. But, living behind the mountains has really helped with the transition because it doesn't always feel like the city. And, there are cotton/corn fields close by, so if I start to miss the farm, I can just go right down the road to see it. I am sure they will be subdivisions soon. I must admit that I love having Walmart and Publix within 5 minutes. It helps when you can run to the grocery store and no one fall asleep in the car!

5. Football Season- I am not a real hard core football person...there is not a competitive bone in my body anywhere. But, I do love Auburn and had the best college experience ever because of it. And, during football season for some reason, I feel the need to make chili or Rotel dip or some of the other tailgate food and put on an Auburn shirt. Even though most of the time I am here with the kids watching the game by myself (WB...working as usual), I still feel the need for the food. So, maybe it's the food I love more than the football. That's probably more of the truth. I guess I just didn't want to admit that food would be something I look forward to.

6. Changing out clothes- I love to bring out the fall clothes. I love sweaters and sweatshirts and jeans. They hide all of the yuckies that you have to show in the summer. If I could just show my ankles, face and hands all year around, I would. Plus, I have so many cute fall clothes for the kids. Right now they are in the place where they are almost growing out of everything, but I refuse to buy any more summer clothes because it WILL be fall soon, I just know it. So, we are wearing the same thing, alot, which is fine with Sissy (Minnie Mouse shirts) but I am getting tired of the same old thing (Minnie Mouse shirts). For me, I am sure I will still wear my same 3 outfits. It's a lot more fun to buy for the kids.

So, there you have it...some of my favorite things about fall. What are yours?

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I used to fix my hair in ponytails like Jo too! I wanted to be her b/c I was definitely not a girly girl! :)

Stacy said...

I was trying to read while the kids were running circles around me a while ago, so I didn't finish...

I also love the changing leaves and football season b/c of watching w/friends and having snack foods for dinner!!! :) I DO NOT look forward to the cooler weather! B/c that means it will be COLD soon...Brrrr....

andersons said...

just happened across your blog. Fall is my absolute favorite. I love the colors, the smells, the clothes, halloween, thanksgiving,... i could go on and on. i look forward to fall all year long. thought i was the only one in the world that loved it. precious children!!!!

Sunny said...

Fall is such fun! I have really loved experiencing fall with the kids. We have so many family traditions that I am really looking forward to this year.

If you are offering some rides on the family farm, we are willing! We have cotton around us and 4 horses that live behind us. We are not in the country, but I love the "farm life" (what little there is) that is around us.

The HoneaBees said...

Sunny,
I will get with you when daddy starts harvesting. I think yall would enjoy it!