
I was rocking both of my sweet babies just a few minutes ago when I had these 2 images flash in my mind. It was my Papaw's expressions when we told him we were pregnant.
The first time when we were pregnant with Sissy, he was there when we told my parents for the first time. We gave mom a frame that said "Coming in June" and let her figure it out. Papaw (who was VERY hard of hearing even with his hearing aides) just sat there patiently while all of the commotion was going on, until we told him what it was all about (since he didn't hear anything that was said). He just about jumped out of his chair. I will never forget the look on his face. He said "You're still my baby." (which is what he said when WB and I got engaged)
The second time, we told them at Father's Day dinner. This was a shock to everyone since Sissy's first birthday was just the weekend before. Again, everyone was picking up their chins off the floor and crying while Papaw was patiently waiting for everyone to clue him in. When we told him...he just looked at us for a few minutes as if to soak it all in...then he got the same proud look and said "That's great!"
He LOVED his great-grandchildren and would light up when they came around. They loved him too. Sissy loved to go visit him and play with the tractors he had at his house. We always had to take him some kind of treat for her to share with him. Bubba liked to sit in Papaw's lap and try to chew on his oxygen cord. Papaw didn't care...he just wanted to see them playing.
I really miss him more every day. I thought it would get easier, but it hasn't. I am just so glad that I was able to spend 30 years with one of the best men ever. I can only thank God for that time. I hope I will never forget.
2 comments:
Still thinking of you! I hope that those memories will make your heart happy.
I'm so glad that you have such special memories of your Papaw. It sounds like he was a really special man. We are thinking about you and your family.
Post a Comment