Saturday, January 9, 2010

Imagine::A Man that wants you to talk to Him!

Since it is the start of a new year, I have been making a list of Goals for myself personally and professionally. I decided this year to call them "Goals" because if they were resolutions, I just wouldn't do them. Or so it seems from my past record.
I also don't consider myself a 'professional' but couldn't come up with a better word and don't have a thesaurus.

One of my main goals is to work on my prayer life this year. I am lucky to have been blessed with an overabundance, at times, of Faith. I am not a worrier, not jealous or envious, I am comfortable in my own skin. I am those things because I KNOW without a doubt that the Lord takes care of me, he made me, he provides me with what I need, he loves me. If I don't get something I want, I just assume it's something I don't need and move on.  I have PEACE because I have FAITH!

That being said, I tend to put it all on God and sometimes don't think to pray. I can be a month after going through a trial or whatever and think, did I even pray about that? And if I want a certain situation to be different, instead of praying about it, I will just think "Oh well, that's the way it will always be" and just deal with it.  But, y'all...
PRAYER CHANGES THINGS!
Yes it does.

I started reading a book called The Begging Place by Becky Blackmon. I highly recommend it. There are many, many great points in this book, but one thing that really stuck with me is how Jesus wants to hear from us! He wants to hear our problems, our thoughts, our frustrations, our THANKSGIVINGS, our happys, our sads, our 'can you believe it's' - I know it's hard to imagine a man that wants us to talk to him about our feelings!  But, He does! And the great thing about it is that He already knows it all and still wants to hear it!

Think about it this way- How happy are we to see our children in the mornings, after they have been at school, or spent the night with grandparents? We long for them to talk to us and tell us about their day, what happened while they were away. We want them to come to us with all of their problems, ask us questions about life, etc.
That is the same way God longs for us to talk to Him.
Jesus even came down from heaven to "intercede" for us and to experience everything possible so that when he goes before the Lord to plead our case, he knows exactly how we feel.  It is so hard for me to imagine Jesus talking to God about ME. I don't really think I am that interesting...that God and Jesus discuss me? It just makes my heart swell...and makes me want them to only have good things to say!

And, it's funny, I came up with my list of goals at the end of 09, then started reading this book (thanks Stacy) and what are we talking about in Bible Class? Prayer! Funny how God works! He knows I need more help than just myself to reach this goal! And He's right.

This is getting kind of long, so I will stop for now, but I have a few more things to share, so this may end up being a 2 parter.
But, I hope that you all will add just one more 'Goal' to your list for the year.
Talk to God more-He's waiting.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Phillipians 4:6 (NIV)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Glad you're liking it! I thought it was a really good book too. Loved reading your post--I'm sure that all of those things working together will help you strengthen your prayer life this year! I'll pray for you, too! :)