Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New You

I have really been putting way to much thought into this post...for DAYS...how do I start off blogging the new year? Do I just use it for what it was originally created-a sort of scrapbook? Do I write more about the road I am traveling with God? I am definitely afraid of failing at that one...because I am not sure if anyone would want to read that. Or if I would encourage anyone in any way-I really just want to be a blessing.
Just a blessing. 
And it's hard sometimes to put your deepest thoughts out for others to read-especially those who don't really know you. And who you may not know. The world judges you know, harshly sometimes.

But then, I was reminded that God loves me, no matter.  And as long as I hold tight to him I will have the confidence and peace of knowing that He thinks I am a blessing. And so, I am going to start this year by letting you in on some of the things I am practicing this year--hoping it will help you with your walk with the Lord.  I cannot imagine going through life without him...and I am so thankful that he provides us with a new starting point-a reason to start fresh. If not a new year, but a new day, everyday.

  • Setting goals for the year, for myself and for our family. If I call them resolutions, I will not do them. Probably because someone told me to~and I wonder why my kids are so stubborn. They can be as big or as small as you like. One of mine is to video my kids more. Another is memorize Ephesians.
  • Creating a theme for the year.  Mine?   Only speak words that make souls stronger.  And I am in prayer over this one for sure! I got the idea from this blog that my brother told me about. She has a weekly post about words and how they encourage...and hurt. The first post I read really convicted me to watch the words I say, to my children, my husband, my family, everyone I come in contact with.  This has been a challenge already. But we are talking about *souls* and it is worth it.   Ephesians 4:29 'Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.'
  • Pray. Often. About everything. If there is anything I learned in 2010, it's that prayer changes things. Because I am a task-oriented, annoyingly organized person, I keep a prayer grid. I pray something specific about my husband, my children, my family, my country, my church, etc each day. This keeps me from forgetting something-or falling asleep while praying. It also helps me to see what I have been praying about and how the prayer has been answered. Not all of them have come to fruition yet, but they will in God's time.
  • Making sure to have my God time.  It's hard getting up waaaaay before anyone else in my house, but once I started taking that time with God, I was amazed at a difference it made in my day! Now, I can tell on the days that I don't have it. So, this year, I am fighting for my time with the Lord!  Between Bible studies, I have picked up a new book-Jesus Calling-and then I bought one for my whole family, and they got one for everyone they know. All I can say is that every day, I am blessed by the little devotionals. It's like the book was written for me, only I know it wasn't just for me, because everyone we have given it to says it was written for them. You will be blessed if you pick one up (and they are super cheap).
  • Creating a Gratitude Journal.  I am writing just a few things I am thankful for each day. To remind me who is responsible for it all.  And to make sure I am not just praying for the future, but thankful for the now. 
I am hoping that something I have written today will give you ideas for yourself. If you need them. I would love for you to tell me how you start your new year...or new 'you' as Buddy says.  I am so thankful for the ability to start over, aren't you?

3 comments:

Love my 2 BoYs! said...

Kera, Thank you so much for this post!! I too, am so thankful for the ability to start over!! This post was very eye opening to me and you are VERY MUCH a blessing!!!
and I've already added the blog that you shared to my page...I can tell that I will love it!

brooke said...

Wow. That was so inspiring to read. I love EVERY word in this post and it's definitely making me think a little more about actually coming up with some "resolutions". Seriously, thank you because it was definitely a blessing reading this...one that I will come back to.

one BleSSed gal! said...

You are a BLeSSiNG! More than you know! Love you :)