In honor of THE OTHER MAMA's Crazy Blog Hop, I am about to tell you a CRAZY and weird, but TRUE story. I did not make this up and I have witnesses to prove it is true. I do not have pictures to prove that it is true because this happened before I took pictures of every single event including what I made for dinner, so that I could blog about it.
Those of you who know me, know that I have a personalized tag that I have had for 10 years or more. To protect the innocent (me and my family), I will not give the exact wording from my tag in the story below. But, I will make up a new one because it is an important part of the story. So, my tag "says" COUNTRYGIRL.
Back in 2000-ish, when I just moved home from Auburn, I worked at a bank and drove 100 miles to and from work each day. *This was also pre-hubby/marriage/kids* I lived on the farm with my parents at this time.
One Fall Friday night, my mom, sister-in-law and I were on our way home from a fun night of eating out somewhere. (I know it was fall because Daddy was picking cotton and my brother was camping with the youth from church...that is why it was just the girls. NOT because I was a loser and had no boyfriend. Or maybe that too.)
Anyway, we passed the local grocery store and I just happened to glance at a sign on the side of the road.
I yelled "Y'all! I think that sign said COUNTRYGIRL! TURN AROUND!"
My SIL slammed on the breaks and my mom said "No, it didn't-just keep going!"
To which I replied "I really think it did! Let's go look!"
Imagine all of this in the loudest voice you can because after all, we are 3 women!
So, we turn around and go back only to read:
COUNTRYGIRL PLEASE CALL 555-555-5555!
Homemade and on the side.of.the.road! Appropriately, in front of the county shed.
You can only imagine the number of eardrums busted from all of the screaming going on in the Expedition as all 3 of us were reading in unison and then yelling!
So, my SIL pulls in to the drive next to the sign and the 2 of us get out to grab the sign. The whole time, my mom is yelling "Hurry Up! What if he is in the ditch waiting to get you! Hurry Up!"
So, long story even longer, we get the sign, call the number and talk to the guy.
He had followed me 40 miles out of his way, mind you, and then decided that he wouldn't go any farther, but would go to the Piggly Wiggly to get things to make a sign hoping I would see it. He said "He was looking for a good Country Girl and hoped I would call him!" KA-REE-PEE!!!
He was in his mid-thirties, lived in his mama's front yard and delivered furniture for their furniture company.
My mama then had one of her friends do a background check and sent someone to his parent's furniture store to check him out.
And, I felt sorry for him that he had to go to such great lengths to attempt to get a date that I tried to set him up with my friend.
Then I carried the sign around in my trunk for about 6 months because no one would believe me when I told the story!
Crazy enough?
Visit The Other Mama for more Crazy Stories!
And Visit SisterBug because I have loaded a few Christmas designs!
Sisterbug.com is the place to be!!
14 years ago
13 comments:
Cah-RAZY!! That is WILD! Who in the world plants a homemade sign? Apparently this guy! WOW!!
I'm so glad you lived to tell about that story! And I love all the trouble everyone went through to check up on the guy!! hahaha!!
Thanks so much for playing along!
Sheesh, lady, I must admit- you and I probably would have been besties back in the day. That kind of fun you can only make when you drive up to a golden opportunity for mischeif!!!
That was a great, crazy story! i love it!
Oh goodness - that definitley fits the definition of crazy!
Too funny!! This is hilarious. I can picture the 3 of you in the car screaming. ha! So, did you ever hear anymore from the Piggly Wiggly stalker?
You're right...that is crazy! Wouldn't it have been a really good story if ya'll lived happily ever after? TE HE HE!! Fun Stuff!
I'm with CS...wondering whatever happened to him....
That is hilarious!
Well, if the guy had to pick someone to try to chase down, might as well be someone special like you!
You had me laughing in the first paragraph "including what I made for dinner". Just last night, as my kids were coming to dinner with the friends that were visiting, my son said to his friend "hold on...mom takes pics of all her food and then we can eat it" I was so glad to read I am not the only crazy mom on the block!
Wow, that's some pick-up line!
I can't believe he followed you for 40 miles, then chickened out. That's a long time to work up one's courage.
And I too loved the line about having to take pictures of your dinner. Priceless.
I swear, only you! :)
btw, LOVE the Christmas designs. That mongram on green would look cute on a red shirt too. I'm thinking we'll have to have that.
Crazy story, but loved it! I think that I would have turned the brightest red had I seen a sign like that "calling" me out. And 100 miles to work every day?
HILARIOUS! That's a great story! I'm impressed you saw it. I could drive by a sign flashing my name in lights & would never see it.
Post a Comment