Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In which I talk about THAT toddler stage where you feel like a failure

Do you know which one I am talking about? Let me describe it and I am sure you will...
It is when your child turns 2 and everyone around you (even complete strangers) tell you that you need to get started on it.

It is the one that some people smirkily say "My child go it in one day!"

It is the one that your momma harasses you about because she did it when you and your brother were 18 months, which makes you not able to even have a conversation about it without causing an argument and someone then hanging up on someone else.

It is the one that nobody really likes to talk about until it is over.

It is the one where you think 'How can you know all of the alphabet, sing the words to over 50 songs, count to 10, etc, but not get the potty thing. Why am I such a failure to you?'

It is almost as controversial as "Are you nursing?" or "Are you staying home?"

Guessed it yet?

Yep...POTTY TRAINING!!

I have honestly loved all stages of Sister's life...even talking, but Potty Training, not so much. This would be my 1 stage that I would like to just snap my fingers and it be done.
It's all a bunch of guess work...is she ready, is she interested, 'you'll know.' Um, no. I 'just knew' that I would marry WB, I DID NOT just know when Sis was ready to pee pee in the potty. It's not that simple.
And those people that say "Mine got it in a day" are lying! I swear. They may have had a pretty good start on 'that' day. But, you tell me what kid gets it in 1 day with no accidents and I will send them some toilet paper. (economy's rough, folks)

I am going to go ahead and call us trained (see, I am waiting to talk about it after it's over) But, it did take about 3 months to get us completely trained including the big P. We have had only 1 public accident and 1 regression period after Papaw passed. (Regression is frustrating, let me tell you) And the Big P came only after trying EVERY possible trick under the sun. You know what worked? Telling her that she couldn't go to preschool in the fall if she didn't poo poo in the potty. If I had known it was that easy, I would have said that 3 months ago. We have been accident free for 2 weeks! WooHoo!!

I know that there will be times that she will have accidents, but the fact that she is now doing the Big P in the potty consistently (and LOVES it according to her) is like someone lifted this huge weight off of my shoulders. Seriously. Who knew a child pooping in the potty could mean so much to a woman.

And, I just remembered that I sent WB out with her right now to see the circus parade with no change of clothes...only the portable potty. Let's hope seeing circus animals doesn't induce pants wetting. Seeing a kitty cat in a store did once. OOPS.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter was absolutely miserable. Every time I thought we were through, we weren't. Whew. Fortunately, now, she can hold it for like 12 hours. :)

The Exciting "E" Sisters said...

Ella has been horrible! She was almost there before she turned two, then totally stopped. The only time she will use it is in a public restroom, which I think is nasty. Emery Claire was the kid who did it in one day by herself with no accidents and I am not lying. So, I have never potty trained before and Ella is giving me a run for my money. So, I totally understand what you are talking about.

Momma 2 Girls said...

I thought Ashlyn would never be potty trained and I also thought she would never get to go to school because of it...haha But everything worked out fine and after I quit stressing about it and with a little help from her doctor she was fine. Lizzie Grace on the other hand was a dream! I started her on a weekend and she was trained in about 2 days!! She was 2 years and 4 months old. I hope she continues to do well! Congrats :)

CS said...

I have no pride- my mom potty trained Bo while Nate was in the hospital and he's still having problems at night. He'll be waering pull-ups to bed when he's 12 because I have no desire to deal with it.

Stefanie said...

I remember that stage, and I think I failed miserably the first time around. The second time was a little easier. I think you have done terrific though. That is one of those stages that no one knows for sure. You just have to guess, and hope that in the end that the little one is ready.

Amy said...

I could not agree more!! This is, without question my LEAST favorite stage (and we are currently in it with Lily)!

I am a firm believer that kids "get it" when they are ready, and starting them before that time is a big mistake! (I was never the mom who started putting them on the potty at 18 months) We would try with Ann Catherine and it was just clear that she wasn't ready. So, I didn't push it. Finally, one day I realized she was ready, and we started. I put her in panties (no pull-ups) and I cleaned up more accidents that week than I can count. Finally, at the end of the week "she got it" and was accident-free from then on (and she was 4 months away from being 3, so don't beat yourself up!). I will do the same with Lily - when SHE'S ready.

Whew - blogging about it already stresses me out :)

Unknown said...

Hang in there! Little man will be easier than sister. Boys have external plumbing which I think helps them catch on to the concept quicker.