Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How does your garden grow?

Right before Mother's Day, Sister and I planted some watermelon seeds as starters in a little cookie Monster 'greenhouse' Papa bought her from Lowe's. (She calls Lowe's "Daddy's grocery store.") She also had a pack of sunflower seeds too.
When we got back from the lake...they were about 3 inches tall. They grew that much in 4 days! So, I told WB we had to get on our garden or we would have watermelon vines growing all over the kitchen! Last Friday afternoon was the day! So, we stopped by Uncle Jim's store and bought the rest of the plants/seeds and headed to the shop. 
Sister helped her daddy scrape the grass off the ground. You can't see the smile on her face here, but this little girl LOVES to be on the tractor with her daddy! Especially when he lets her drive...she's pretty good too. I know how she feels, I always loved riding the tractor with my daddy too. I still do! There is nothing like getting in the cab with him and just talking about all kinds of things and nothing. I miss the farm a lot!

Once they got the grass scraped off and moved to the burn pile, it was Buddy's turn to drive.


He helped till the soil so we could plant. It wasn't quite as dark as it is in the picture, but pretty close!  WB is always getting the last little bit of sunlight out of the day. I can't even tell y'all the number of times we finished up jobs by flashlight. We planted the rest of the garden with pole lights. And the rows still turned out pretty straight. We have sunflowers, watermelon, okra, squash, sweet corn, tomatoes, banana peppers, and in June we are going to plant our pumpkins.

Sister wanted to take a picture of us...so here it is.

The next morning, we went back to water it all in and take a picture. I want to take one each week to show how our little 'crop' has grown. I hope something grows!!

Here is a little evidence that there is a boy in the family.  There are 3 phrases I know I will be saying a million times this summer. I have already lost count of the number of times I have said them this week alone.
"Buddy, don't pull up the flags!"
"Buddy, get out of the mud, son!"
"Buddy, don't step on the plants!"


On another note, Happy Birthday to Uncle Bub! He dropped in the other day while he was in town for a meeting. He and Sister have a special bond. Since he has 3 boys, he doesn't get to love on a little girl...so he loves on Sissy when he sees her. I told him I will be glad to send her on over when she turns 13.
Love you Bub!












2 comments:

one BleSSed gal! said...

Love this! I planted a garden for years & this has got me thinking that after a few summers off maybe I should plant another. We shall see...

On second thought, how 'bout you have all the fun growing the garden & I'll just help you eat all the goodies :)

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

I like Joy's 2nd idea...I would be glad to help eat the crops. :) I can't wait to see the progress. Buddy is definitely a boy...like my Noah, isn't he? Boys keep you on your toes. I like Sissy's shirt...did you get that one at Carter's when we went?