Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The time is coming...

~To my sweet Sis~
August 2010, First Day of Pre-K


May 2010, End of Pre-K

Today has been a little emotional. I can't believe you will be 5 in a few weeks. I can't believe you are out of preschool. I can't believe you are going to start kindergarten soon. I can't believe the little girl you have become.

You have really changed a lot this year! You are gaining more and more independence~some that I am glad about, some that makes me a little sad.
One thing that has not changed though is your determination! You are one hard headed little girl! Unfortunately for you, you get that from both me and your daddy! Once you decide you are going to do something, you are determined to do it, no matter what, and make it perfect! (It is hard for a perfectionist to teach you that perfectionism isn't important!)
One example of your determination~around Christmas I had warned you that when you were 5 you would have to stop sucking your fingers, something you had done since you were about 2 months old. You said, "Well, I am just going to stop right now." So we put bandaids on your fingers and by the second night...you were really done. I couldn't believe it! But, I should have known. You are a lot like mommy, once you make a decision, you do it...and move on.
Because of this determination, it is hard to make you change your mind and most of the time, you really don't care if someone else is doing it, if you don't want to, then you don't. While this can be very frustrating when you are little, I am praying this will help you when you are older! I pray that you will continue to not let anyone change your mind~because people will try!
You love playing tball and I am amazed at how hard you hustle each game! You can stare down the ball and hit it hard! You run after the ball on the field and love every minute of it! I hope you continue to want to work that hard at everything you do.
Sister, earlier this year, you did something that made me so proud! One day, you came home from school and said that you made a new friend. I asked you his name (because I knew it was a boy) and you said you didn't know. You just went up to him and asked him if he wanted to play flitball (what you call football). The next day, you came home and said that you asked his name, but you couldn't hear him, so you just played flitball in silence again. Then I found out from your teachers this little boy had been playing by himself all school year, that he was really shy, and stayed to himself. You seeked him out and played with him, Sister! And, he became one of your best little friends at school!  You just do not know how happy that made me! I pray that you always do that, look for those by themselves and try to become their friend. Even when it's not cool. Turns out I can learn a lot from you!
They had Senior Sunday this past week at church and when they were announcing all of the accomplishments, I wondered what they would say about you. Would you keep all A's, would you get a scholarship, would you end up at Auburn (that's where you say you are going now), what will be your major, would you play sports, win art awards, what will you look like??

While mommy is having a hard time with all of this change, I know it is just life. But, you have given me some of the best 5 years of it...and I am so proud to be your mommy! Know that I will always love you...and the most important thing is that you keep loving God! 
You are amazing, Sunshine Girl!  
Mommy


1 comment:

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

Growing up is hard on us mommies! She is such a big, sweet girl. She should be, though...she's got a great mommy that she's learning from! Love you. Glad we're doing this kid thing together.