Friday, February 11, 2011

~on being a mommy and a blessing~

I just finished a book called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp--and it was good! The premise is that if you live a life of thanksgiving, eucharisteo, giving thanks to God all day, for everything, you will live a closer life with God and be able to "live fully right where you are."

One of the things that stuck out the most to me, since I am knee deep in mommyland, is practicing eucharisteo, the action of giving thanks, actually giving it away, allows God to make you the gift. The blessing~especially in your home, with your husband, your children...And how when we are in the routine, knee deep in mommyland, and we are washing the dishes, and making the meals, and being the shuttle bus, and someone is crying, and someone is tattling, and why can't someone just say 'Thank you mommy for all that you do!' because that would make it worth it. Or would it? Doesn't it make us more likely to think WE are owed something for what we are doing for our family? As she says in the book, "When service is unto people, the bones can grow weary, the frustration deep."

But when service is for the Lord? "But when Christ is at the center, when dishes, laundry, work, is my song of thanks to Him, joy rains. Passionately serving Christ alone makes us the loving servant to all. The work becomes worship, a liturgy (public work) of thankfulness."

This was so convicting to me~because sometimes I don't want to wash uniforms, I don't want to clean house, I don't want to make a dinner that no one eats, I don't want to read "Everyone Poops" for the 75th time today.  But, if I turn it around to thanksgiving~Thankful that my husband has a great job and they are now buying his clothes, thankful that I have a nice home full of furniture to clean, thankful that our cabinets are full and our refrigerator is full, thankful that I am the one here with my children to read the same book over and over, all day, and hear them laugh when I say "a one hump camel makes a one hump poop."  How different everything looks. Giving the glory to God!

Being a blessing starts with thanksgiving. Being thankful that I was the one chosen by God to have this family of 4 strong-willed people, this time of being at home with them, this husband that loves me, this life full of blessings. Because when you are thankful, really practicing eucharisteo, no matter what or where or when, you will be right there with God...and feeling him in every step you take. Being thankful can transform everything.

Ms. Voskamp sites a quote from Mother Teresa that is so true- "The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action. If we pray the work...if we do it to Jesus, if we do it for Jesus, if we do it with Jesus...that's what makes us content."

I want that-a life of eucharisteo-a life of thanksgiving-of giving thanks to God for it all. The only way to be a blessing.

Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

2 comments:

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

So true! Sounds like a book that I need get and read! You, my friend, are a blessing to your family and to all who are blessed enough to call you friend (like me)! Love you! :)

Lindsey said...

You're such a good wife and momma :)